Last Updated on March 20, 2023
It’s Hunting 101 — to attract deer, offer food. If you want a big buck to visit you during hunting season, first get him in the habit of showing up at one of these best deer feeders for 2023.
I know firsthand how important it is to choose an effective deer feeder. But with so many choices out there, we’ve focused on industry leaders like Moultrie, Texas Hunter Products, American Hunter, Wildgame Innovations, Boss Buck, and Capsule.
Feeding systems can be simple or complicated, expensive or budget-friendly. Some feeders even pair with wireless trail cameras to instantly alert you to hungry visitors.
Here are our top 9 recommendations to help you narrow the field.
Table of Contents: Best Deer Feeders of 2023 [Show/Hide]
- Do You Really Need a Deer Feeder?
- Types of Deer Feeders
- Best Automatic Deer Feeders
- Best Overall: Boss Buck “Texas Two Step” All-In Combo
- Best Automatic for The Money: Moultrie Unlimited Tripod
- Cream Of The Crop Made-In-the-USA: Texas Hunter Products
- Best High-Capacity Capsule: Capsule Game Feeders
- Best Auto Feeder for Those on a Budget: Wildgame Innovations
- Best Gravity Deer Feeders
- Editor’s Choice: Moultrie 325
- Best on a Budget: American Hunter
- Best for Professional Wildlife Feeding Programs: Texas Hunter Products
- Best Hanging Deer Feeders
- Top-of-the Line: Texas Hunter Products
- Best for the Money: Moultrie Bucket with Hoist
- Dirt Cheap Hanging Bag: Moultrie Bag Feeder
- Accessories to Take Your Setup to the Next Level
- Factors We Considered When Compiling Our List
- Is It Illegal to Feed Deer on my Property?
- Final Thoughts: Best Deer Feeders of 2023
- More Hunting Gear & Resources
Do You Really Need a Deer Feeder?
I never used to understood the hype about deer feeders until I hunted over one. After all, can’t you just dump corn on the ground and call it good? But I quickly learned that an effective food dispenser is worth its weight in gold. It lets you schedule feedings, control the amount of food, reduce waste, and keep raccoons and other pesky marauders from stealing your feed.
Types Of Deer Feeders
Deer feeders come in several designs, each with pros and cons. To choose the one that’s the best for you, you’ll need to consider the size and needs of your herd and what you intend to feed them. Then you’ll want to evaluate the overall design and any optional features.
Automatic versions do exactly what the name suggests: they automatically dispense the food whitetails want. This style of feeding is quickly becoming the gold standard thanks to features like timers or wireless connectivity.
These allow you to schedule your feedings and customize various settings, from the amount of food they disperse to the time of day they do it. But automatic feeders are also expensive and typically require the most maintenance.
Automatic deer feeders are best for hunters who want the easiest and most hands-off way of attracting wild game. While the upfront costs are higher, automatic models are usually more efficient and will lower your feed expenses in the long term.
Gravity versions look similar to automatic models but they don’t have motors, batteries, or failure-prone mechanisms. Instead, they use gravity to push feed down through a hopper and into troughs for the deer to eat. Then, as it’s eaten, more game feed trickles down to keep the troughs full.
These typically have the largest capacities of any feeder and can dispense large amounts upon demand. They’re also low maintenance; gravity is ultra-reliable! On the other hand, they may not work well with all types of feed as some might not flow smoothly through the tubes.
Gravity deer feeders are great for economy-minded hunters with a lot of game to feed. You get large capacity with few, if any, maintenance concerns. Just be aware that this style doesn’t limit the amount of food served up, so hungry whitetails can quickly empty the hopper in one sitting.
Hanging and trough versions are the most basic and inexpensive options for feeding your deer. Hanging models are typically suspended from a tree or other structure and can have automatic feeding options. Trough models keep feed off the ground and out of the elements.
Hanging and trough food dispensers are the easiest to use and can fit any budget. They are simple, effective, and don’t limit the amount of feed the animals can access. But be prepared to refill these frequently.
Hunters who don’t want to spend a fortune on a feeder will love the options offered by hanging and trough models. They’re simple and easy to use and are perfect for feeding small numbers of animals.
Best Automatic Deer Feeders
Our Top Overall Pick
Boss Buck “Texas Two Step” All-In Combo
Some people don’t want to research the options and prefer to jump ahead to simply buying the best. If that sounds like you, look no further than the Boss Buck All-In Combo. It can function as either a gravity or an automatic feeder, and this versatility puts it at the top of our list.
The Combo includes an auto feeder conversion kit that’s easy to install and dispenses evenly to three ports when used as a gravity feeder. No matter how you run this, its high-quality construction provides a smooth, controlled flow to prevent blockages during feedings.
The Boss Buck Combo gives you unmatched flexibility. Just avoid feed that contains salt, as that will corrode the control box. It works best with corn, protein, and other non-salt blends.
- Pros: Can be used as a gravity or automatic feeder; durable; holds large amounts of feed; easy to assemble
- Cons: Can be a significant upfront investment; gravity feed mode is not always consistent
- Best for: Those who want one of the best and most versatile food dispensers available
Best for the Money
Moultrie Unlimited Tripod
For those who want the most bang for their buck, the Moultrie Unlimited Tripod is a top choice. This automatic model is easier on your wallet than the Boss Buck and includes a built-in electric varmint guard to keep raccoons, squirrels, and other critters from stealing your feed.
The Moultrie Unlimited comes with extras and features that you usually only find on more expensive options, such as a programmable digital timer and mounting points for game cameras. And with its adjustable tripod legs, you can set it up precisely how you want it.
One important thing to note is that the Moultrie’s battery is sold separately. Luckily it’s inexpensive, and you can get the whole package at a reasonable price compared to many other options.
- Pros: Extra features and additions not seen on other products; excellent battery life; reliable; programmable timer with many options
- Cons: No guards to keep raccoons or other animals out; hard to replace components when needed; poor customer service from the manufacturer
- Best for: Those who value quality and reliability in their hunting equipment and want a dispenser that provides both
WIN AN RTIC 32 QT COOLER!
We’re giving away an RTIC 32 QT Ultra-Light Cooler to a random member of our newsletter on May 29th, 2023!
Subscribers will be automatically entered into ALL future EatElkMeat.com Gear Giveaways.
Subscribe below to enter the drawing!
Cream of the Made-in-USA Crop
Texas Hunter Products
Sometimes you want the assurance that your gear was made right here in the good ol’ USA. That’s where Texas Hunter Outdoor Products comes in. This made-in-America product is a top-of-the-line automatic solution.
With a lockable lid and heavy-duty legs, this bad boy is weather- and varmint-proof. This might be its single best feature, considering how often raccoons and other critters tend to steal food from dispensers. In addition, the legs have 4’ and 8’ options to give you two different heights depending on your needs.
Texas Hunter Outdoor Products knows what it takes to make a great feeder, and their designs reflect that. Every little detail was thought out and put into this state-of-the-art dispenser, from its large capacity to the feed level sight gauge.
- Pros: American-made quality and construction; built-in varmint guard to protect feed; long-lasting and will give you years of service; large feed capacity
- Cons: The price tag may put a big dent in your bank account; very heavy and hard to move; maintenance work can be challenging
- Best for: Those who want top-shelf quality and a dispenser built for the long haul
Best High-Capacity Capsule Feeder
Capsule Game Feeders
The worst part about running a deer feeder is the constant need to refill it. So the larger the capacity, the less time you’ll spend filling it. Capsule Game Feeders knows this problem well and offers the best high-capacity dispensers to address that.
This option is very lightweight and virtually indestructible despite its high-capacity of up to 1,000 pounds. Its low-to-the-ground design makes it safe and easy to refill. Sit down and fill ‘er up without having to climb a ladder.
So you can spend less time on maintainence, it comes with a solar charger that keeps things working around the clock. I love any gear that I can set and forget, confident that it’s doing the job while I’m elsewhere. If you share that view, you can’t go wrong with a Capsule Game Feeder.
- Pros: Able to hold 1,000 pounds of feed in its giant hopper; very easy to maintain and fill; a unique design that’s virtually indestructible; made in the USA; a solar charging panel is included
- Cons: Can be difficult to assemble; pricey compared to other options; the unique design may require you to use your own parts and tools
- Best for: Those who want a reliable dispenser that they won’t have to refill often
Best for Those on a Budget
Hunting can be costly, but it doesn’t always have to be. If you find yourself needing a feeder on a budget, take a look at Wildgame Innovations. I’ve always enjoyed their trail cameras, so it’s not surprising that they also produce a high-quality, inexpensive deer food dispenser.
It’s easy to set up and load right out of the box. If you’re like me, you hate reading long instruction manuals before getting started. With only a few simple parts to assemble, this durable dispenser is ready to go within minutes.
Despite boasting one of the lowest price tags out there, the Wildgame Innovations feeder comes well-reviewed and highly rated. It’ll save you money that can be better spent on more whitetail feed.
- Pros: Rugged and durable; lightweight and easily moved; timer has multiple options and settings; best price on the market
- Cons: Weatherproofing can be hit or miss; plastic feed drum prone to breaking over time; no warranty on parts or replacements; battery not included
- Best for: Those on a tight budget
Best Gravity Deer Feeders
Gravity feeders are an excellent choice for hunters wanting rock-solid reliability. No more wondering if the timer is working or if there’s a clog in the system. If that sounds good, let me introduce you to the Moultrie 325.
The Moultrie 325 has a very large capacity for a gravity dispenser. Loaded with its full 325 pounds of feed, you can sit back and relax without worrying about constantly refilling it as the deer munch away contentedly.
All in all, the 325 is perfect if you’re searching for a low-maintenance and easy-to-use deer feeder. Just remember to set its height properly for your local herd, as you don’t want any wild hogs being able to reach the feed and clean it out overnight.
- Pros: Easy assembly with no tools required; huge feed capacity; option to fit it with an electronic dispenser and go fully automatic
- Cons: Hard to transport or place in different hunting areas; feeding troughs aren’t the strongest; accessories and add-ons sold separately
- Best for: Those who want a simple and easy-to-use product with a relatively enormous capacity
Best on a Budget
American Hunter is a less well-known brand in the hunting world, but they offer quality hunting gear for everyday hunters. This is a reliable dispenser for those on a strict budget.
Where the American Hunter feeder shines is how durable and robust it is despite being so inexpensive. Bears, hogs, and other critters have attempted to tip and loot this beast, but to no avail.
Its only downside is its smaller 159-pound capacity. It might work well for hunters with smaller hunt areas, but not for those with lots of mouths to feed. Otherwise, you might spend more time refilling it than actually hunting!
- Pros: Easy to refill; solid and rugged; great value; works well with a variety of feeds
- Cons: Sits a little high; a smaller capacity; the lid can break if you aren’t careful
- Best for: Those who need a simple and inexpensive option to service a compact hunt area or smaller deer herds
Best for Professional Wildlife Feeding Programs
Texas Hunter Products
Another proven option from Texas Hunter Products, this one is just as satisfying as their automatic model. If you have lots of animals to feed, a large capacity dispenser like this can hold just over 1,000 pounds of your favorite feed.
With its sturdy molded construction, this free-choice feeder accommodates any type of feed, protein, or supplement. For large ranches or farms, that can be a major advantage for year-round feeding programs.
Don’t forget that Texas Hunter Products are made in the USA, so you can expect top quality. And despite its giant size, it’s surprisingly easy to assemble and set up.
- Pros: Huge 1,000 lb capacity; adjustable flow settings; four feed ports for multiple animals; easy to assemble; will last for years
- Cons: Bigger than most hunters’ needs; pricey; replacement parts can be hard to find
- Best for: Those with big ranches or hunting properties that need to feed large numbers of deer
Best Hanging Deer Feeders
Top-of-the Line Option
Texas Hunter Products
This hanging auto feeder combines the best of a few different worlds to give you a food source that’s easy to move around. With the portability of a hanging dispenser and the efficiency of an automatic option, offerings from Texas Hunter Products are the best of the best.
A useful feature not found on many dispensers is a multi-directional capability. This hoss changes the game with several brackets to customize the throw pattern.
From throwing feed in every direction to concentrating it on one area, there’s not much this dispenser can’t accomplish. Oh, yeah, did I mention that it’s also bear-proof? And raccoons, squirrels, and opossums won’t get in either.
- Pros: Very user-friendly; animal-proof locks and latches; all steel construction; compatible with external solar charger
- Cons: Fairly heavy and can be difficult to hang; a hefty price tag for a hanging option; limited hanging options; can’t handle large feed pellets
- Best for: Those willing to pay top dollar for a compact, state-of-the-art product
Best for the Money
Moultrie Hanging Feeder with a Hoist
Moultrie hit another home run by offering a hanging deer food dispenser that’s easily the best bang for your buck. This model is a high value entry-level option, and it even includes a digital timer with multiple settings.
To get the most out of this, pair it with Moultrie’s own hanging hoist. You’ll be able to quickly raise and lower it without having to climb ladders for refilling. Not only is this safer, but it’s also a lot less work.
If you find yourself searching for a budget hanging option, Moultrie has you covered. When paired with its hoist, not many dispensers are this easy to fill and manage.
- Pros: Easy to program; various hanging options; hoist allows for easy filling and maintenance; works well with any size of feed
- Cons: Poor battery life; the motor may wear out quickly; not great at keeping critters out; plastic parts can become brittle over time
- Best for: Those wanting to feed a small herd without having to climb a ladder to refill the hopper
Dirt Cheap Hanging Bag
Sometimes using the most straightforward gear is the best solution to a problem. Some dispensers can be overly-complicated, with too many bells and whistles. If you want to avoid the complexity of feature creep, say hello to the Moultrie Bag Feeder.
It’s an affordable option that doesn’t overcomplicate the task of attracting and feeding deer. It’s a simple concept — fill the bag with food, attach it to a suitable tree, and wait for the wild game to arrive.
Despite its simple design, the Moultrie may be nearly as effective as any other type of feeder. While it’s certainly not the sleekest product on the market, it offers hunters a reliable, go-anywhere gravity option.
- Pros: Cheapest option out there; can be used anywhere; lightweight and compact for easy deployment; easy to fill
- Cons: Design allows all types of animals to steal your feed; no protection from the elements; no method of regulating flow; might need to be replaced yearly
- Best for: Those who have little-to-no room in their budget for a dispenser
Accessories To Take Your Setup to the Next Level
Wireless Trail Cameras: Moultrie Edge
It’s a natural combination — a dispenser paired with a wireless trail camera. So every time a big buck drops by for a meal, you’ll get a picture or video of him sent directly to your mobile phone.
Solar Charger for Auto Feeders: POWAXI
Automatic feeders are perfect for a hands-off approach, but only as long as the battery stays charged. Add an external solar charger and your auto dispenser will always have the juice to do its job.
Factors We Considered When Choosing Products
Not all deer feeders are created equal, and buying one could be a significant investment. I hate spending money on something that’s not exactly what I need, so take a minute to think about what you require. When choosing your future dispenser, there are several factors you should consider:
Size and Capacity
Deer feeders come in just about every shape and size imaginable. Consider the capacity of the product and the rate of feed. If you have a large property, you may want a larger model that holds more and lasts longer between refills. Smaller properties and herds can likely make do with smaller capacity dispensers.
Type of Feed
Consider the type of feed you’ll be using. Some products on this list are designed specifically for certain types of food, such as corn or protein pellets. If you use the wrong kind of feed, it could cause blockages or malfunctions. So ask yourself, what exactly will you feed your wild game?
Quality and Durability
Look for a product that’s well-constructed using high-quality materials. If you’re going to drop money on a new feeder, get one that’s built right. It should be able to withstand the elements and last for several seasons. The best-of-the-best models might even last for decades.
Ease of Use
Consider how easy the feeder is to fill, clean, and maintain. You may want a model with a removable hopper or one easily disassembled for cleaning. Other dispensers can be a pain to refill or hard to install due to how big or heavy they are. Decide how hands-on (or off) you want to be.
Research the brands that make dispensers and read reviews from other customers to get an overall sense of quality and reliability. This often goes overlooked but can be a quick and easy way to predict product performance. You might even reach out to trusted people and ask them for their first-hand experiences.
Consider where you’ll place the dispenser. If it’ll be in an open area, you may want a larger feeder with a roof and solid legs to ensure it’s level and stable. If it will be in a wooded area, consider a model that blends in with the surroundings. You may already have the perfect place in mind. If so, pick something that blends in.
Most hunters will start their search focused on the price tag. Decide on your must-haves and look for a product in your price range. Remember that you get what you pay for, so a more expensive dispenser may be a better investment in the long run. A higher price tag will usually mean higher quality and reliability.
Is It Illegal to Feed Deer on my Property?
There are many laws regarding feeding wild animals like deer, and those will vary from state to state. It’s generally not illegal to feed deer on your own property, but be aware that local laws or ordinances might prohibit it.
In some areas, it’s only legal to feed wild game during certain times of the year. For example, you might not be able to feed deer during the spring or summer months. Come hunting season in the winter, however, it might be legal to place food to attract your prey.
Which Deer Feeder Will You Choose in 2023?
We hope our guide to the best deer feeders of 2023 will help you find the best option for your upcoming hunt. Whether you need a gravity, automatic, or hanging dispenser, you’re sure to find what you need in the array of options we’ve covered.
With innovative companies like Moultrie, Texas Hunter Products, American Hunter, Wildgame Innovations, Boss Buck and Capsule, you can count on new and improved deer feeders being introduced every year. And when paired with a wireless trail camera, these dispensers can definitely take your hunting to the next level.
Only you can decide what best fits your needs. Do you want to feed your deer a high protein blend year ’round to maximize antler growth? Or maybe you’ll just offer them corn to keep them hanging around during hunting season. Add your comments below and share your experiences. Happy hunting!
- Elk Hunting Gear of 2023: Must-Haves + DIY Checklist
- Hunting Knives [Benchmade, Buck, SOG & More]
- Skinning Knives for Deer, Elk & Wild Game
- Lightest & Best Tree Stands [Climbing, Ladder & Hang-On]
- Climbing Sticks [Lone Wolf, Hawk, XOP & More]
- Shooting Sticks for Rifles [Bipods, Tripods & Monopods]
- Hunting Bone Saws for Deer, Elk & Big Game
- Gun Cabinets & Lockers [Wood, Metal & Hidden]
- Gun Cleaning Kits [AR, Handgun, Rifle & More]
- Gifts for Hunters: Unique, Must-Have Hunting Gifts
- Best Prime Day Deals for Hunting, Fishing & Camping